Saturday, February 22, 2020

Portfolio Project- Genre Research

For my genre, I have been drawing a lot of inspiration from other musicals. The main one that inspired me is "A Star is Born", more specifically, the parking lot scene.



I feel as if the concept of the parking lot represents something that I am looking for. The setting would be at night, and a slow zoom onto the character. This movie draws a lot of inspiration for me, especially because of its score. It is constantly full of acoustic instruments such as guitar, piano, and violin. The emotions that are created are also very similar. The lack of instrumentals give it a lot of power and raw emotion, which is how I plan on starting the opening. The final song I'll Never Love Again, creates a very similar effect to the one I am trying to create.


This song has the power that I am trying to manifest. It's so full of emotion and deep passion, and although it is an ending to a film, it has a similar effect to the opening I am trying to create. It establishes a deep pain and deep yearning for someone. So, I just came up with an idea- I could alternate my opening with flashbacks of my character reminiscing of times with someone. This would explicitly state that the person is heartbroken.

Although not very similar to what the scene actually is, I want the feeling created by my song to be similar to Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On. The power comes from her vocals, and it really helps develop the raw emotion of the song. I seem to have a very good understanding of how vocal technique works, so I believe that I can do this. Of course, I will have to edit my voice because my singing sounds like a cat being thrown into a blender, but it'll have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

The End of Love Creative Critical Reflection Here is my CCR! Sorry it's so long- there was a lot I wanted to talk about.