Saturday, February 22, 2020

Music Production- Roadblocks and Film Production

So, I went to my second class on music production today, and I realized how little I know. I have been experimenting with different sounds, but I'm still coming up short on how to create the melody. The violin is coming in well, but it just isn't what I need it to be. 

I have learned how to use the smart piano, in which I simply press the chords I want and plan out how they'll play out. Being an inexperienced piano and violin player, this is quite difficult for me. Instead, I will work with some experienced piano players to create the sounds I need.

However, I have moved on to the film production part of my project in the meantime. I have been considering if a master shot for the opening would be a good technique. I feel like it would allow me to capture the continuity of emotions I want to evoke (I have no idea if that even makes sense but, hey, it's what I'm trying to do). In fact, that's the whole purpose of this project. To evoke a feeling that I cannot create with words. 

As I have hit a roadblock in my music production, I have emailed Universal Music to request the rights to use Florence + the Machine's song The End of Love, which is the song I used to create the title of this film. This is merely a backup plan. The overall cinematography of the opening will be the same no matter which song I use, so I am moving on to that part. I know which feeling I am trying to create, so I believe it would be wise to move on to my next step.

If I don't use a master shot, then I would probably use a lot of cuts. My idea is to have the opening flashing between black and film with stings. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it would look something like this:



This is from Beyonce's Formation World Tour. The stings would be of a similar sound, and the images would flash between black and video just like that. It would be a very hefty editing process, but I feel as if I can pull it off with enough patience.

Basically, I just realized that this project will be a lot more work than I anticipated. But I'm sure that with enough work and patience I can really culminate a beautiful work of film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

The End of Love Creative Critical Reflection Here is my CCR! Sorry it's so long- there was a lot I wanted to talk about.